The American education system is failing, not only students, but teachers as well.
South Carolina teachers rallied on Wednesday at the State House in Columbia. This is the second time this year.
Perhaps if teachers received the spotlight and financial incentives of professional athletes then there would not be massive protests like the one that just happened in south and north carolina.
It’s outrageous to me that a lot of people are still debating whether a wall should be built to keep out so-called ‘illegals’, but those same people won’t support all that money instead being used to finance the education of America’s children.
What are the teachers demands?
According to a report from CNN the South Carolina teachers demanded:
- “10% raises to get teachers’ salaries closer to the national average. As of 2017, South Carolina ranked 38th in teacher pay, with an average salary of about $50,000, according to data from the National Education Association.”
- “Banning retaliation against teachers for making public policy comments. This is a big concern across the country, as some teachers who protested or went on strike last year say they believe lawmakers are retaliating.”
- More mental health counselors.
The same report from CNN said that North Carolina teachers demanded:
- “More school librarians, psychologists, social workers, counselors, nurses and other health professionals.”
- “A $15 minimum wage for all school employees; a 5% raise for all noncertified staff, teachers and administrators; and a 5% cost-of-living adjustment for retirees.”
- “An expansion of Medicaid to improve the health of our students and families.”
- “A reinstatement of state retiree health benefits eliminated by the state General Assembly in 2017.”
- “A restoration of advanced degree compensationstripped by the General Assembly in 2013.”